From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] gentoo vmware guest on winXP
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 23:16:52
1 On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 12:56:39PM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I've been monkeying around with a vmware appliance of gentoo.2008.0
3 > from July. Downloaded from bagvapp.com.
4 >
5 > It fired right up inside vmware running on winXP with no problems.
6 >
7 > But now updating I'm finding I cannot get a newer kernel compiled that
8 > will boot. The original kernel is 2.6.24-r8 and boot just fine.
9 >
10 > I attempted to compile a somewhat leaner meaner version. It appears
11 > the original was a `genkernel' creation.
12 >
13 > I paid close attention to SCSI settings in the original and any other
14 > settings having to do with disks.
15 >
16 > However my attempts consistently break out with the message:
17 > /dev/sda3 is an invalid device
18 >
19 Try appending "noapic" (without the quotes, of course) to your kernel
20 line in grub.conf.
21
22 I was having the same issues.
23