From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] mysterious freezes when browsing Internet
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 21:28:18
1 During the past few months, I've been bit by sudden total freezes
2 while using Epiphany & Konqueror to browse Internet sites.
3 The only way out is to hit the reset button: eg Ctl-Alt-F2 doesn't work.
4
5 At first, I believed it was a bug in Epiphany, which is good to use,
6 but not well-supported as KDE & Firefox. However yesterday,
7 it happened in similar circumstances with Konqueror,
8 which uses quite different libraries & rendering.
9
10 It seems to happen when the browser is downloading images, esp adverts,
11 & I simultaneously use the middle mouse button to click or scroll.
12 I may have several news stories downloading in different tabs
13 & I middle-click on a link to open another tab or scroll down a list
14 & one of the other tabs is still downloading extra images.
15 This is the only situation in which it happens.
16
17 There are Forum threads covering other situations, which don't apply to me,
18 & the only thread which is similar is
19
20 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-521365-highlight-random+freeze.html
21
22 which does not offer any helpful advice.
23 There are no bugs answering to 'Epiphany freeze' or 'Konqueror freeze'.
24
25 I'm using Kernel 2.6.18-gentoo, KDE 3.5.6 , Epiphany 2.16.3 & Xorg-x11 7.1 .
26 Otherwise, my system is very stable & problem-free.
27
28 Has anyone else run into this bizarre phenomenon ?
29 Does anyone have useful suggestions ?
33 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
34 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
35 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list