From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub2 and is the upgrade a tooth puller.
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:12:10
1 Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 5:50 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 >>> Thanks for "announcing" this Dale. grub-2.00 is in ~arch as of last night.
5 >>>
6 >>> Given your current naming scheme, grub2-mkconfig will not detect your
7 >>> kernels. They must be named vmlinuz-version or kernel-version. For
8 >>> example:
9 >>>
10 >>> /boot/vmlinuz-3.4.3
11 >>> /boot/kernel-2.6.39-gentoo
12 >>>
13 >>> Your initramfs files look good.
14 >>>
15 >>> Space wise, grub needs a couple hundred sectors after your MBR to
16 >>> embed itself. If you used the default fdisk setting when you
17 >>> partitioned your drive, you should have 2047 free sectors that it can
18 >>> use.
19 >>>
20 >>> If you have your kernels named properly and some free sectors on your
21 >>> hard drive, setting up grub:2 is a very easy process. See the wiki
22 >>> page for more info.
23 >>>
24 >>> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Quick_Start
25 >>>
26 >>>
27 >> Thanks. Now more questions. I have read about this a few times but
28 >> never quite figured it out. I copy the bzImage and name it bzImage-*
29 >> because that is what it is named when I type make etc to build a
30 >> kernel. Is there a difference between bzImage and vmlinux? If it is,
31 >> is it safe to rename it like that or will it break something? If I need
32 >> a vmlinux kernel instead of a bzImage, where is that thing? I have
33 >> looked and I don't have one on mine here. Maybe I am missing
34 >> something. Google didn't find me anything either.
35 > AFAIK, you should be fine renaming bzImage to vmlinuz. (Note the z.
36 > It's vmlinuz, not vmlinux")
39 Well that fixed one thing already. lol I bet I would have named that
40 wrong. ;-)
41
42 vmlinuz. Weird. They did that to confuse me didn't they. :/
43
44 Dale
45
49 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!