From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fonts and bad eyes
Date: Sat, 17 May 2014 13:58:33
1 On Saturday 17 May 2014 02:17:17 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm curious. I'm sure there are some older folks on here that have eyes
5 > that are not in the best of shape. Mine are not real good even with
6 > glasses. My question is, what font is the easiest to read for folks
7 > with bad eyes? In other words, for you folks who can't see good, what
8 > font do you use?
9 >
10 > I'm just curious. Just reply and let me know what you use. I think I
11 > need to change mine to something better.
12
13 I'm glad you asked, Dale. I've been meaning to go a-searching fonts for some
14 time and now you've prompted me into it.
15
16 So far I've found these to be acceptable:
17
18 Liberation Sans
19 Bitstream Vera Sans
20 Clockopia
21 DejaVu Sans
22 Droid Sans
23 Free Sans
24 Trebuchet MS
25 URW Gothic L
26 Verdana
27
28 That last one, I believe, was designed by M$ for use in web pages.
29
30 I'll spend some time with each of them and find which I like best. You'll
31 notice that they're all sans-serif. That's because I believe serif fonts need
32 a higher pixel density than most screens have, and that's why they work well
33 when printed on paper but not here.
34
35 Hope that hasn't muddied the waters even more!
38 Regards
39 Peter