From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Daylight savings time
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:43:48
1 On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, James wrote:
2
3 > In my /etc/conf.d/clock file I have these relevant settings:
4 > CLOCK="local"
5 > TIMEZONE="America/New_York"
6 > CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"
7 >
8 > it's a dual boot (XP & gentoo) workstation.
9 >
10 > I had to set the time manually to adjust for the 1 hour shift.
11
12 I guess you mean that in this timezone there was recently a shift
13 due to daylight saving time?
14
15 > Shouldn't this be automatic?
16
17 This question was recently discussed in the German forums.
18 Here is a summary:
19 Since you have CLOCK="local" this can only be automatic if your
20 computer was running during the shift - when you start your computer
21 after the shift, Linux will consider the hardware clock as the
22 correct (already shifted) time information.
23 If the shift happened with your setting although your computer was
24 not running, another program (typically: windows) has done the shifting.
25
26 Only if you run CLOCK=UTC the shift is guaranteed to work in any case
27 (of course, unless another program like windows interferes).
28
29 BTW: In case you use FAT, you might also want to consider the solution
30 proposed in
31 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-579915.html
32 (which will make your hardwareclock also run with a constant offset to
33 utc i.e. the shift will also work reliable, but windows will display
34 the wrong time half of the year. However, the advantage is that
35 filestamps on FAT partitions will never change.)
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list