From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 17:09:55
1 Alexander Puchmayr writes:
2
3 > On Dienstag, 14. Oktober 2008, Daniel da Veiga wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I had one of this freezes today.
6 > > Simply killed X using CTRL+SYSREQ+K and got back a console with error
7 > > messages.
8 > >
9 > > Have you tried the SYSREQ keys?
10 >
11 > How does this work? I've tried it but I didn't get this working at all.
12 > AFAIK, first step is to compile the CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ into the kernel.
13 > Then, make sure there's a "1" in /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq; well it is.
14 > /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt says press "ALT-SysRq-<command
15 > key>", I've tried it out with SysRq=printScreen and cmd='h' for help,
16 > but nothing happens, even under normal conditions. What did I make
17 > wrong?
18
19 Try another key than 'h'. The space key will show a little help, probably
20 that what you expected to see with 'h'. Oh, you need to be on a text
21 console (ctrl-at-f1) to get visible output.
22
23 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
24
25 Wonko