From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2020 10:49:19
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 1 Jan 2020 20:27:34 -0600, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> If you wait for a few seconds after the backup is completed before
5 >>> you unmount the drive, you should be OK. Although it may slow down
6 >>> or any LEDs flash less frequently the drive may not stop spinning,
7 >>> unless there is some power save process taking control of it.
8 >>>
9 >> Given the speed, it is likely done when I tell the KDE thingy to
10 >> unmount.  Usually, I start the backup and walk away for a few minutes.
11 >> I do it with one of my scripts, if one can call what I do a script, and
12 >> it does the date command at the end.
13 > Add a sync command to the end of the script to make sure all filesystem
14 > buffers are flushed to disk before it finishes.
18 Now there's a idea.  Between the sync command and the unmount process,
19 it should be safe for sure.  You made good use of those brain cells.
20 lol  I didn't think of that and I don't recall anyone else thinking of
21 it either.  Still wonder what the heck it is doing sometimes tho.
22
23 Dale
24