From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] New install, no modem devices found
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:30:18
1 Hi again,
2
3 I have got my new install done up to the point that I can get into a GUI, even
4 though the nvidia drivers won't load. Anyway, I want to connect to the net
5 with my serial modem but there are no devices for it to connect with.
6
7 Here's my first problem. I looked in my /dev folder and the file is there and
8 it points to /dev/tts/1 but it points back to /dev/ttyS1 which points back
9 to /dev/tts/1. This is a endless loop that needless to say is not working.
10
11 I do have udev installed and have no clue how to fix this. What really
12 creates the thing and how do I fix it? It shows up in dmesg and I am using
13 the same kernel to boot both the old and new OS so it should not be a kernel
14 problem. I'm not sure how this works so feel free to correct me. I have
15 read that you can turn off the tarball thing and it will create all new
16 "stuff" when you reboot. Can I do that? Will that fix my nvidia problem
17 below too.
18
19 Also, is there some major change to the nvidia kernel? I emerged it and when
20 I try to modprobe the module I get a error. I know, I don't have the error
21 but I will post it when I figure out how to do that from a console in the
22 other OS. I can't exactly copy n paste can I. LOL
23
24 For those who were following my old thread, MOZILLA WORKS. It opens up just
25 fine. There is something screwed up in my old OS. Any way to compare what
26 is installed on one to the other? I would still like to fix my old one if I
27 could. It's a thought.
28
29 Thanks for the help. I can see light at the end of the tunnel now. I just
30 hope I can send email when I get my modem to work.
31
32 Dale
33 :-)
34 --