From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Apologies - WAS: Re: [gentoo-user] Systemd upower
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2014 17:27:37
1 On 6/4/2014 9:47 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > You seem to think the Upower devs simply decided to use systemd instead
3 > of doing it themselves. In fact, they were always using code, from either
4 > systemd or pm-utils. The fact that development stopped on pm-utils is
5 > neither the fault of the Upower or systemd people. They were reduced to a
6 > choice of one and you blame them for making the wrong choice?
7
8 Actually, I wasn't talking about upower specifically, I was talking
9 about this whole slippery slope that is systemd - but you are right, and
10 I absolutely apologize for my comment about 'lazy devs', and most of my
11 other negative comments.
12
13 I still don't like the way systemd seems to be devouring everything to
14 the point that it is apparently inevitable that it will become the
15 default init system for all linux system.
16
17 But I also admit that this is more just personal bias against
18 Lennart/Kay/etc and all things related to them, all coming just from the
19 many threads I've read, and also just fear of change in general (being
20 that I am *not* a programmer, and am *not* capable of doing anything
21 about this myself, regardless of if I would have the time or not).
22
23 So, I will absolutely cease and desist denigrating systemd, at least
24 until such time as I can speak from direct personal experience.
25
26 First question: is there a decent guide to installing a gentoo system
27 from scratch using systemd as the init system?
28
29 Second question: is there a decent guide to how to switch from OpenRC to
30 systemd?
31
32 Third question: is there a decent guide on how to switch from systemd
33 back to OpenRC, if I encounter any serious problems on a production box?
34
35 Thanks, and again, my apologies for starting another flame-fest, and
36 especially for basically abandoning the thread afterwards (busy week
37 last week)...