From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 22:20:39
1 On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:00:21 -0500, Bruce Hill wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 10:43:39PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >
5 > > How do you copy one to a stick when you need to rescue an unbootable
6 > > system? I prefer to keep the ISO in /boot, no need for a USB stick
7 > > then.
8 >
9 > Would you mind a short HOW-TO for that, including {lilo,grub}.conf?
10
11 http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Easy_install_SystemRescueCd_on_harddisk#Boot_the_ISO_image_from_the_disk_using_Grub2
12
13 > And would this only be applicable to those poor souls who don't keep a
14 > known, good kernel in /boot Just In Case (TM)?
15
16 A known, good kernel is not much help if your root filesystem is damaged,
17 although I do make sure I always have at least one such kernel in /boot.
18
19 One of the benefits of booting sysrescd this way is that it is a *lot*
20 faster than USB.
24 Neil Bothwick
25
26 Windows Error #56: Operator fell asleep while waiting.