From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 07:23:04
1 2016-09-05 3:42 GMT+03:00 Hans <linux@×××××.com>:
2 > On 01/09/16 16:04, gevisz wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I have bought an external 5TB Western Digital hard drive
5 >> that I am going to use mainly for backing up some files
6 >> in my home directory and carrying a very big files, for
7 >> example a virtual machine image file, from one computer
8 >> to another. This hard drive is preformatted with NTFS.
9 >> Now, I am going to format it with ext4 which probably
10 >> will take a lot of time taking into account that it is
11 >> going to be done via USB connection. So, before formatting
12 >> this hard drive I would like to know if it is still
13 >> advisable to partition big hard drives into smaller
14 >> logical ones.
15 >>
16 >> For about 20 last years, following an advice of my older
17 >> colleague, I always partitioned all my hard drives into
18 >> the smaller logical ones and do very well know all
19 >> disadvantages of doing so. :)
20 >>
21 >> But what are disadvantages of not partitioning a big
22 >> hard drive into smaller logical ones?
23 >>
24 >> Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive
25 >> into smaller logical ones and why?
28 > I use 2TB USB drive with one EXT4 partition.
29 > Took about 30 seconds to format connected to a USB2 port.
30
31 May be. But I have just finished testing its first 41 GB with
32 # badblocks -sw -b4096
33
34 Three passes with different write patterns took about 2 hours 10 minutes,
35 that is about 33 minutes per pass.
36
37 So, the full one-pass write test with badblocks should take about 3 days,
38 if I do not err in my calculations.
39
40 The same amount of time should take formatting it with
41 # mke2fs -cc
42 But I have not tried that so far.
43
44 > Testing the drive with dd and copying files to the
45 > drive is very slow. Don't touch "Green Drives".
46 > They die like flies.
49 What do you mean by this?
50
51 My WDC WD15EADS (it is Green) already works (hosting my /home)
52 for more than 10 years and the systems reports that it is still ok.
53 (I work at this computer from 6 to 8 hours daily.)