From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SDD strategies...
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:20:35
1 On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 08:35:10 GMT Andrea Conti wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > > SSDs are a common replacement for HDs nowaday -- but I still trust my
5 > > HDs more than this "flashy" things...call me retro or oldschool, but
6 > > it my current "Bauchgefühl" (gut feeling).
7 >
8 > The days of shitty JMicron stuff and OCZ drives dropping like flies are
9 > long gone...
10
11 O_O
12
13 I have gentoo booting and running off an OCZ drive since the beginning of
14 2014. Emerges are on /tmp and /var/ is on a spinning disk. Everything is
15 still running (keeps fingers crossed).
16
17 I recall a statement from a guy who works in a data centre with 10s of
18 thousands of drives, that SSDs have become more reliable than spinning disks.
19 His replacement rate for spinning drives was significantly higher and their
20 life span shorter. In his vew the business case for moving the whole farm to
21 SSD was clear from a TCO perspective, not withstanding read/write access
22 benefits.
23
24 I should note I have left some space unallocated on the OCZ for wear levelling
25 reasons - this may have helped in its longevity. In any case, regular back
26 ups of the SSD will come in their own if the drive dies before I replace the
27 PC.