From: Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Thumbdrive
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:54:26
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:21:30 -0300, Norberto Bensa wrote:
3 > > > Incorrect. Flash memory only has a limited write lifetime, treating it
4 > > > like a hard drive will kill it in no time.
5 > >
6 > > Yup. Like in three years or so... I've dropped both floppies and CD-RW
7 > > discs in favor of pendrives (1GB)
8 >
9 > more like three months if you put a frequently written directory,
10 > like /tmp or /var/log, on a flash device.
11
12 You can use UNIONFS for those ;)
13 Anyway, unless we're talking about different technologies, one of my USB
14 drives is working fine and it is more than a year old. And I've used it like
15 crazy (both read _and_ writes.)
18 > BTW you have PGP signed your email but your key doesn't appears to be on
19 > the keyservers.
20
21 Oops. The signature was supposed to be used for private mail messages only. I
22 don't trust keyservers.
23
24 My apologies to everyone!
27 Regards,