From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 03:08:48
1 I've been using KDE for a long time, for reasons that are no longer
2 important to me. I have remained out of pure inertia.
3 I use gnome happily at work, both on Fedora and Ubuntu. All I need from any
4 of them is a panel with some favorites, and a pager for multiple desktops.
5 I spend most of my time in vim, in the C program and documentation
6 toolchains or in a browser.
7
8 The reason I bring this up is that my account just froze on me from running
9 out of disk space. A little research showed that an odd-sounding thing
10 called nepomuk was using 7.2 G (SEVEN GIGS) in some dotfiles. It turns out
11 to be a KDE client - whatever that is. I've got a lot of space here and
12 there, but my /home partition was never near full before.
13
14 I'd like to just nuke nepomuk, but fear the consequences. I'm seriously
15 entertaining ideas about a more efficient way to run my Gentoo system,
16 although I'll probably keep kdelibs because I like a few of their games.
17 Similarly for gnome. But I wonder what I should do about the rest.
18
19 Ideas?
22 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD