From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Checking for a webcam with Nagios
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:04:11
1 On Sunday 09 September 2007, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > I want to monitor that a webcam is up & functioning. When I use the
4 > > check_http Nagios command the webcam returns a request for passwd
5 > > authentication. This is because the webcam GUI requires passwd
6 > > authentication. Nagios registers a "HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.0 401
7 > > Unauthorized" message and of courses generates an alert.
8 > >
9 > > How would you recommend I monitor this webcam with Nagios?
10 >
11 > Can't you add the username and password to the HTTP url?
12 >
13 > Like http://username:password@×××××.webcam/whatever/path
14
15 Thanks Arturo,
16
17 Yes I can, but I thought that exposing authentication details in plain text
18 config files is not particularly safe. Isn't there another way?
19 --
20 Regards,
21 Mick