From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No beep.
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2017 14:43:29
1 On Mon, 14 Aug 2017 18:22:54 +0000 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hello, Gentoo.
3 >
4 > I've almost got my new(ish) machine up and running. In particular, I've
5 > got an email server (s/qmail) running on it, the most difficult part of
6 > bringing up a new box.
7 >
8 > However, during the building, I discovered to my disgust that there was
9 > no loudspeaker in my new case. So, none of the helpful booting beeps
10 > that the motherboard uses to tell us that something's wrong. Still, I
11 > got past that stage.
12 >
13 > But just typing into a virtual tty, sometimes the system (should) beep.
14 > It doesn't. It should.
15 >
16 > It should, because I compiled the kernel with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP
17 > and CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP_MODE set to 1.
18 >
19 > My loudspeakers are working, as shown by running speaker-test. I'm
20 > using the kernel I think I am, verified by checking those two config
21 > settings in /proc/config.gz.
22 >
23 > Would somebody please suggest to me where I am going wrong, here?
24
25 If you are using ALSA (I suppose you are), run alsamixer and check
26 the settings of the "beep" channel, it can be muted or set to 0.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Andrew Savchenko