From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 21:49:04
1 On Thursday 10 May 2012 00:58:47 Dale wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > <SNIP>
6 > >
7 > >>> My thoughts these days is that nobody really makes a bad drive anymore.
8 > >>> Like cars[1], they're all good and do what it says on the box. Same
9 > >>> with bikes[2].
10 > >>>
11 > >>> A manufacturer may have some bad luck and a product range is less than
12 > >>> perfect, but even that is quite rare and most stuff ups can be fixed
13 > >>> with new firmware. So it's all good.
14 > >>
15 > >> That's my thoughts too. It doesn't matter what brand you go with, they
16 > >> all have some sort of failure at some point. They are not built to last
17 > >> forever and there is always the random failure, even when a week old.
18 > >> It's usually the loss of important data and not having a backup that
19 > >> makes it sooooo bad. I'm not real picky on brand as long as it is a
20 > >> company I have heard of.
21 > >
22 > > One thing to keep in mind is statistics. For a single drive by itself
23 > > it hardly matters anymore what you buy. You cannot predict the
24 > > failure. However if you buy multiple identical drives at the same time
25 > > then most likely you will either get all good drives or (possibly) a
26 > > bunch of drives that suffer from similar defects and all start failing
27 > > at the same point in their life cycle. For RAID arrays it's
28 > > measurably best to buy drives that come from different manufacturing
29 > > lots, better from different factories, and maybe even from different
30 > > companies. Then, if a drive fails, assuming the failure is really the
31 > > fault of the drive and not some local issue like power sources or ESD
32 > > events, etc., it's less likely other drives in the box will fail at
33 > > the same time.
34 > >
35 > > Cheers,
36 > > Mark
37 >
38 > You make a good point too. I had a headlight to go out on my car once
39 > long ago. I, not thinking, replaced them both since the new ones were
40 > brighter. Guess what, when one of the bulbs blew out, the other was out
41 > VERY soon after. Now, I replace them but NOT at the same time. Keep in
42 > mind, just like a hard drive, when one headlight is on, so is the other
43 > one. When we turn our computers on, all the drives spin up together so
44 > they are basically all getting the same wear and tear effect.
45
46 Unless you're driving something out of the 60's before halogen bulbs came out,
47 you didn't by any chance touched them with your greasy fingers - did you?
48 Because that's a promoter of early failure (unequal temperature tension caused
49 by impurities on the glass).
50
51 It's better to use a clean tissue or the foam wrapper they are packed in and
52 take care not to touch them with your fingers at all. Should you
53 inadvertently do so, then you'll need to clean them with meths or similar
54 degreaser.
55 --
56 Regards,
57 Mick