From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot partitions (WAS: migrating disks (from mounts to disklabels
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:20:21
1 On Tuesday 23 November 2010 23:54:19 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > 16 for SCSI is plenty in real life,
4
5 Well, you'd think so, but in my meddling days I hit my head on the
6 ceiling. My other box, with whatever version of IDE was current then,
7 had three more.
8
9 > and it's a hardware limitation not a software one so the driver can't
10 > be updated for this.
11
12 That's what I was asking about. What hardware limit is that?
13
14 > 24 drive letters has *nothing* to do with partition number limits.
15 > They are not even vaguely related.
16
17 Just, if you happened to have 24 partitions, Windows would be ready to
18 label them all. Foresight? Windows? Must be a mirage.
21 Rgds
22 Peter. Linux Counter 5290, 1994-04-23.