From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Replacement for gcruft: gcrud
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2018 18:22:51
1 On 08/16/18 02:07, Andrew Udvare wrote:
2 > gcruft seems to have died off (https://www.google.com/search?q=gcruft
3 > only returns ebuild results).
4
5 It might (not really sure) be active but it appears to still be around
6 as ebuilds::
7
8 eix -R gcruft
9 * app-portage/gcruft
10 Available versions: ~0.1-r1^m[1] ~0.1-r1^m[2] ~0.1.1^m[1] ~0.1.1^m[2]
11 Homepage: http://www.genoetigt.de/site/projects/gcruft
18 > I was using it quite a lot and wrote many
19 > exception files. It's gone now with no way for my or anyone else's
20 > ebuild to get the original source. I did preserve it though, here:
21 > https://gitlab.com/Tatsh/gcruft
22
23 Thanks for caring!
26 > I wrote a replacement in C named gcrud. It only needs GLib2 installed to
27 > work. It's much faster than gcruft ever was. The code is here:
28 >
29 > https://gitlab.com/Tatsh/gcrud
30 > https://github.com/Tatsh/gcrud
33 It's going to take me a while to get aroud to testing, but I really
34 really like admin codes in "C" so it is automatically on my short list....
37 > I am placing preference in GitLab for issues and merge requests, but I
38 > will accept PRs from GitHub.
39
40 I really like the like gitlab for a variety of reason. I sure wish some
41 would put together a gitlab-meta ebuild for gentoo. I'd like to house
42 codes locally, and export relevant open source codes to a online
43 location, or distributed among a collective of gitlab-gentoo sites.
46 Complementary to github and our github-centric-dev community.
50 > The whitelist https://gitlab.com/Tatsh/gcrud/blob/master/whitelist.c is
51 > currently hard-coded and limited but the results are satisfactory for
52 > now in my use cases.
53 >
54 > Type use case:
55 >
56 > sudo ./gcrud | sort -u > out.log
57 >
58 > Examine out.log for things you can delete. There are absolutely zero
59 > calls to delete files from the machine in my code and never will be any
60 > kind of automation support.
61
62 That your choice and I respect that call. However (and it's a big
63 however), my gentoo-centric HPC cluster do need automated system
64 cleanup. So, initial, it's be an army of scripts, similar to your code,
65 that is mandatory in a "loosely coupled" heterogeneous clusters, not to
66 mention first-line security related cleanup.
67
68 > If anyone tries it out I certainly would like to see your output and get
69 > some bug reports or suggestions. The main feature planned is reading
70 > from a configuration file for exact file paths and regexs.
71
72 Yes, but, it'll be while for me. Offer and automated clean up option,
73 and I have dozens of systems to test.....
74 >
75 > --
76 > Andrew
77
78 Thank you Andrew for your work. It can also be very useful to my DAG
79 efforts for compiling, verifying, and clean up of cluster codes.
82 GLEP 64 was on the path to systematically solve what you you are doing
83 after the fact::
84
85 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:64
86
87 More refs for your convenience
88
89 http://asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/
90
91 http://gittup.org/tup/
92 ("It will automatically clean-up old files.")
95 hth,
96 James