From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 04:38:38
1 TL;DR: It does seem that the kernel was holding things back to the
2 point that things weren't working. :-(
3
4 On 6/8/19 12:01 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
5 > I'm having problems with newly compiled modules (zfs (et al.) and vbox
6 > (et al.)) and kernel after doing two "emerge -DuNe @world"s.
7
8 I've managed to straighten things out. I'm now running a 4.14.120
9 kernel, with gcc 8.3.0, binutils 2.31.1-r6, and zfs 0.8.1.
10
11 I got to a point that I could successfully do the following:
12
13 emerge -DuNe @world --exclude sys-fs/zfs --exclude sys-fs/zfs-kmod
14 --exclude sys-kernel/spl
15
16 I had configured gcc and binutils to use 6.4.0 and 2.30-r4 respectively.
17
18 At that point I upgraded from 4.9.76 to 4.9.177 successfully. Then I
19 upgraded to 4.14.120 successfully.
20
21 After I got to 4.14.120 successfully, I did another emerge … @world …
22 (above command) just to make sure that everything is copacetic.
23
24 Then I stepped up to gcc 8.3.0, rebuilt some test modules. After that I
25 stepped binutils (and libs) up to 2.31.1-r6 and rebuilt some test
26 modules. Everything seemed to work. All tests pass. All modules load
27 and unload properly.
28
29 So I did another emerge … @world … and everything seems to be completely
30 stable.
31
32 I'm guessing I don't need to do all the emerge … @world … but this
33 system is idle and I can start it in the morning and it finishes
34 recompiling just shy of 900 packages by the end of the day, including
35 emerge --depclean && revdep-rebuild.
36
37 So, I think that this system is now in a much better state than it was a
38 week ago.
39
40 The only thing I can think of is that the 4.9.76 kernel was far enough
41 back and before all the Specter / Meltdown / Retpoline fiasco that
42 things were no longer working like they should. This machine had been
43 staying back at 4.9.<something> because OvS didn't want to go above that
44 at the time this system was last updated. Now OvS is happy with
45 4.14.<something>. (That's why I didn't go to a newer kernel.)
46
47 Thank you everybody for the suggestions and comments.