From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to record memory usage & bandwidth usage?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 01:34:36
1 (My age surely is catching up with me, I forgot to include the URL for
2 dstat)
3
4 [1] http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dstat/
5
6 Rgds,
7 On Oct 26, 2011 8:27 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
8
9 > (Sorry for the late reply; somehow this thread got lost in the mess)
10 >
11 > On Oct 12, 2011 2:03 AM, "James" <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
12 > >
13 > > Pandu Poluan <pandu <at> poluan.info> writes:
16 > > > The head honcho of my company just asked me to "plan for migration of
17 > > > X into the cloud" (where "X" is the online trading server that our
18 > > > investors used).
19 > >
20 > > This is a single server or many at different locations.
21 > > If a WAN monitoring is what you are after, along with individual
22 > > server resources, you have many choices.
25 > It's a single server that's part of a three-server system. The server needs
26 > to communicate with its 2 cohorts continuously, so I have to provision
27 > enough backhaul bandwidth from the cloud to my data center.
28 >
29 > In addition to provisioning enough RAM and CPU, of course.
30 >
31 > > > Now, I need to monitor how much RAM is used throughout the day by X,
32 > > > also how much bandwidth gets eaten by X throughout the day.
33 > >
34 > > Most of the packages monitor ram as well as other resource utilization
35 > > of the servers, firewall, routers and other SNMP devices in your network.
36 > > some experimentation may be warranted to find what your team likes best.
39 > Currently I've settled on a simple solution: run dstat[1] with nohup 30
40 > minutes before 1st trading session, stop it 30 minutes after 2nd trading
41 > session, and send the CSV record via email. Less intrusion into the system
42 > (which the Systems guys rightly have reservations of).
43 >
44 > > > What tools do you recommend?
45 > >
46 > > OH boy. I like JFFNMS very very much. It has a very old version in
47 > portage
48 > > (masked) but a very new version out there for Debian and Ubuntu. It
49 > > runs on all nix, if you want to driectly compile and install.
50 > >
51 > > I'll be putting together a new ebuild, as soon as I get it working
52 > > with the latest postgresql. Mysql works out of the box. Postgresql-9
53 > > has many new and very cool features.
56 > Cool! I *love* Postgresql! Update me when the ebuild's done?
57 >
58 > > > Remember: The data will be used for 'post-mortem' analysis, so I don't
59 > > > need any fancy schmancy presentation. Just raw data, taken every N
60 > > > seconds.
61 > >
62 > > Personally, I have some large, high risk design work going on. JFFNMS
63 > > and pg9 are the best choices from my research. A whiz like yourself
64 > > could easily look at the old JFFNMS ebuild and create a new one.
65 >
66 > Naaah, I'm going to wait for your ebuild. I'm sometimes lazy, you know ;-)
67 >
68 > > PG-9 (please no flame wars on mysql vs pg9) is very cool and what
69 > > my work is migrating too, once I get some breathing room.
70 > >
71 > > Craig at jffnms.org is very cool and responsive. He also works closely
72 > > with those that submit patches. Nagios is a large, disorder array that
73 > > had many devs fork off since the project leader (was/is an a_ole)
74 > > is quite difficult to work with.
77 > That sounds really cool. I've been hesitant to go the Nagios route because
78 > of the mess. I'll sure to be checking out JFFNMS.
79 >
80 > > JFFNMS rules and is very cool for managing cisco and other routers,
81 > > not to mention a myriad of snmp(1,2.3) devices and all types
82 > > of servers. The original guy, Javier, was snapped up by someone
83 > > worth billions, to manage and extend his financial network, but, Craig
84 > > is probably stronger coder, and extraordinarily nice human being.
85 > > It's mostly php. Lots of folks extend JFFNMS, Craig keeps it clean
86 > > and well written and documented code.
87 > >
88 > > http://www.jffnms.org/
89 > >
90 > > hth,
91 > > James
94 > Thanks for the heads-up! Although the original problem is solved already
95 > (granted, in a somewhat kludgy way), your post is a great write-opener! Much
96 > appreciated :-)
97 >
98 > Rgds,
99 >