From: Catalin Trifu <catalin@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: need help tuning distcc
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 21:27:28
1 Hi,
2
3 Is FEATURES properly set in /etc/make.conf.
4 I think you should use distcc-config --set-hosts to set the compiling farm
5 hosts and localhost is not necessary.
6 Did you check if /etc/conf.d/distcc is correctly configured on all the boxes
7 like on which interface they listen on and from which hosts they accept connections.
8 Last I believe you need to specify the port in the --set-hosts line:
9 distcc-config --set-hosts "fast_host_1:3632/3 fast_host_2:3632/2"
10 In this case 3 jobs get sent to fast_host_1 and 2 to fast_host_2.
11
12 Catalin
13
14 John Blinka wrote:
15 > Hi, all,
16 >
17 > I run Gentoo on a very old 150 mhz pentium laptop. As you can imagine,
18 > it's painful to update Gentoo packages on it. I've been attempting
19 > to use distcc and crossdev so that the more more modern i686 machines on my
20 > local network can do most of the compiling for this i586 box. However,
21 > I haven't been very successful in offloading its compilations to the faster
22 > boxes: distcc still seems to want to do most of the compiling on the
23 > slow box
24 > and only occasionally sends a compilation to one of the faster boxes.
25 >
26 > My reading of the docs suggests that the /etc/distcc/hosts file controls how
27 > the work is distributed and MAKEOPTS in /etc/host controls how much
28 > parallelism
29 > is attempted. My setup on the slow box is MAKEOPTS="-j5" with
30 > /etc/distcc/hosts
31 > containing a line like
32 >
33 > fast_box_1/2 fast_box_2/2 localhost/1
34 >
35 > My intention is that make will attempt 5 way parallelism, and that
36 > distcc will
37 > parcel out the 1st two tasks to fast_box_1, the next 2 tasks to fast_box_2,
38 > and the last task to localhost, the slow box.
39 >
40 > But, as I watch compilations progress on all 3 machines, I see most of
41 > the work
42 > being done, on the slow box - typically 2 or 3 compilations
43 > simultaneously, and
44 > only an occasional compilation on the faster machines.
45 >
46 > How do I convince distcc on the slow machine to send more work - all of
47 > it if
48 > possible - to the fast machines?
49 >
50 > Thanks for your help.