From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Printer Sharing with Samba
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:54:18
1 On 3/8/06, Kris Kerwin <kkerwin@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi folks!
3 >
4 > I have a quick question.
5 >
6 > I'm a college student. I share my printer with my roommate. We have
7 > separate computers; he uses Windows XP, and I Gentoo. Together, we're
8 > behind our school's router which dynamically assigns us both IP's.
9 >
10 > Currently, in order to share our printer, we simply unplug it from one
11 > another's computers. However, we would like to be able to share it
12 > over the network instead to make life easier for the both of us.
13 > However, there are a few problems that I'm foreseeing.
14 >
15 > First off, I have a laptop with only one ethernet port, so setting up
16 > an ad hoc network between us is out of the question. Also, my school
17 > has a "one port - one computer" rule that prohibits routers.
18 >
19 > Second, since we're both behind a DHCPd server, we both have dynamic
20 > IPs. There's no easy way to point his computer to the right server if
21 > it has a dynamic IP.
22 >
23 > Third, since we're both behind a router, using something like DynDNS
24 > to provide a static contact despite the dynamic IP won't work either.
25 >
26 > So, I guess what I'm wondering is if there's any way to make this
27 > work, or if I'm SOL?
30 It would seem that people are thinking about this problem just a bit
31 too hard. Here is how my network is setup. All users have DHCP addys,
32 its a mix of mainly Gentoo with the odd Windows box. The printers are
33 all connected to Gentoo servers which have cups and samba setup. Cups
34 serves printing for all the Linux boxes and is also hooked into Samba
35 so the windows boxes can print. As far as IP addresses go... screw
36 em... use the netbios name of the machines, for the Windoze box this
37 will be its hostname and the same is true for the Linux box (I don't
38 think I had to do any extra setup in Samba to make it broadcast a
39 netbios name). You will then be able to print locally from the Linux
40 box via CUPS and you can install the printer just like any other
41 shared printer (\\your_gentoo_box\printer_name) under Windows. Gentoo
42 has excellent Samba setup howtos if you need more info. In this case
43 you break no rules and there is no complex DNS setup stuff. Hope all
44 this makes some sense.
45
46 -Mike
50 Michael E. Crute
51 http://mike.crute.org
52
53 Linux takes junk and turns it into something useful.
54 Windows takes something useful and turns it into junk.
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list