From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HowTo rebuild everything same way differently
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 19:29:17
1 On Fri, 10 Apr 2015 19:29:54 +0200, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2
3 > Therefore I want to reinstall everything the same way (read: same
4 > application and system funktionality) but in a different way: Using
5 > a new stage3 (was it "3" ...dont remember exactly) and I want to make
6 > the system "unstable" right from the beginning just to check, how that
7 > works.
8
9 You can't. The stage3 tarballs are stable packages, so you will always
10 start on arch before switching to ~arch.
11
12 You can certainly do what you want, but you will end up exactly where you
13 started. You may get rid of the odd bit of cruft by deleting and
14 reinstalling, but the words sledgehammer and nut come to mind. emerge
15 --depclean and qfile --orphans will help you clean up your system with
16 far less distruption.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Top Oxymorons Number 20: Synthetic natural gas