From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading from 5.14 to 6.0 version
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 19:37:14
1 On 2022-11-21, Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday, 21 November 2022 18:12:41 GMT Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >>
4 >>> You're right, I thought you meant two different monitors in Xinerama
5 >>> style. I didn't know anyone who still uses separate displays
6 >>> (screens) these days.
7 >>
8 >> I found it very helpful when I dealing with interruptions (which is
9 >> about 50% of a typical day). I could flip one of the screens to a new
10 >> virtual desktop (while leaving my email and web browser as-is on the
11 >> other screen), deal with the interruption, then flip that screen back
12 >> to the desktop containing whatever I was origininally working on.
13 >>
14 >> My office setup had three screens, each with four virtual desktops.
15 >>
16 >> When using multiple screens, you develop the habit of using one screen
17 >> for common, always-on stuff (e.g. email, web browser) and the other
18 >> screen(s) for working on code (or whatever).
19 >
20 > I found Enlightenment to be most versatile in this respect. Unlike
21 > say Plasma, which has two monitors locked on the same virtual
22 > desktop and when you switch to another virtual desktop *both*
23 > monitors flip over,
24
25 That's how all of virtual-desktop window managers I've tried over the
26 decades work.
27
28 > in Enlightenment each monitor can switch to a different virtual
29 > desktop independently. Like you, I keep always-on stuff on the left
30 > monitor, while switching between different virtual desktops on the
31 > right monitor.
34 >> There are two main drawbacks to the multiple-screen setup:
35 >>
36 >> * You can't drag a window from one screen to the other. With the
37 >> monitor sizes that are common now, that's not as big an annoyance
38 >> as it used to be.
39 >
40 > With Enlightenment you can move windows across monitors,
41 > irrespective of the virtual desktop each monitor displays.
45 That's Cool. I might have to give Enlightenment a try one of these
46 days.
47
48 How well does focus-follows-mouse work? With openbox there are a
49 couple scenarios where you can get the mouse in a window without that
50 window having focus until you move the mouse out of the window and
51 then back in again. I trip over that once or twice a day: I start
52 typing without noticing that the window where the mouse is does not
53 have focus. Then I've got stop, find the window that does have focus,
54 and figure out what damage that typing did.
57 Grant