From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Rebooted and now I only see the word GRUB [FIXED]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 05:18:48
1 On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:38 PM, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > Tonight I rebooted and only see the text "GRUB" followed by a blinking
6 > cursor, never the grub menu. I'm using grub legacy and ~amd64. Of
7 > course my recovery options depend on GRUB actually working, so I'm
8 > downloading the latest gentoo minimal CD for now so I can hopefully
9 > get in and see what's going wrong and fix it, or reinstall grub at
10 > least.
11 >
12 > Anyone run into this problem or have any idea what's causing it? I'm
13 > not sure if GRUB 0.xx was updated recently, I don't remember seeing it
14 > emerged...
15
16 After booting from gentoo minimal livecd, chrooting into my hard
17 drive, re-emerging grub:0 (just in case it has to be built against my
18 latest kernel) and then running grub and doing:
19
20 root (hd0,0)
21 setup (hd0)
22
23 it booted normally again. I guess I failed to reinstall grub like this
24 after a portage update at some point... logs show I last instlaled it
25 in May, and have rebooted since then without problem, maybe it was
26 something else. Weird. :)