From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Want to start open source development
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 14:50:55
1 On 2012-10-10, karan garg <karangarg31@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I have been an open-source enthusiast since 2010 and using Linux as my
4 > operating system for last 2 years. However, now I want to take an active
5 > part in open-source development and contribute to the society under an
6 > expert guidance. I am an RHCE and have a basic understanding of a fair few
7 > things like database, c, c++, ruby, shell scripting, etc. I would really
8 > consider it an honor if you would guide me.
9
10 I always recommend that first you need to find something you _want_ to
11 do. Is there a program you use regularly that doesn't quite do what
12 you want it to?
13
14 In my opinion, it's easiest to start with adding a small feature or
15 improvement.
16
17 Once you've decided what you want to do, file an enhancement "bug"
18 with the project's bug tracker describing in detail what it is you
19 want to do. It's always nice to explain why they new feature is
20 useful and how you anticpate it will be used.
21
22 There will probably be some discussion in the bug-tracker or project
23 mailing list about whether the feature/improvement is a good idea and
24 how it might be done. Once there's some agreement, then add the
25 feature and submit the patch. There will probably be comments on the
26 patch, so try not to get defensive. After a few iterations getting
27 new feature tweaked and the coding style fixed, then somebody will
28 apply the patch and your name shows up in the ChangeLog file. :)
29
30 Alternatively you could try to fix an existing bug that's already been
31 reported, but that's usually more difficult:
32
33 * It will often take quite a bit of effort and knowlege to set up a
34 test that can duplicate the bug.
35
36 * Fixing a bug will often require a lot more knowlege of the
37 program's internals that will adding a new feature.
38
39 If you _can_ duplicate an existing bug that somebody else is working
40 on, simply offering to help test proposed fixes will usually be very
41 much appreciated and is a good way to learn more about the program and
42 its internals.
43
44 Working on documentation is also always very welcome:
45
46 * Expanding manual sections that are incomplete (adding simple,
47 useful examples is almost always welcome).
48
49 * Writing a tutorial showing how to use a program to accomplish a
50 complex task.
51
52 * Updating tutorials/examples that are out of date and show obsolete
53 usages.
54
55 * Translating documentation into a new language.
56
57 * Fixing formatting, grammar, and spelling errors.
60 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! If our behavior is
61 at strict, we do not need fun!
62 gmail.com