From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PATA vs SATA kernel driver (was: 4 machines - no /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd anymore)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 03:43:03
1 On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 12:14:18AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > > > > Since this is
4 > > > > > depreciated, which generally means no longer maintained
5 > > > >
6 > > > > <nitpick>
7 > > > >
8 > > > > The word you want is "deprecated".
9 > > > >
10 > > > > "depreciated" is something else entirely, it's what your employer
11 > > > > does to the book value of your company car over 5 years to get
12 > > > > the value down to nothing.
13 > > > >
14 > > > > </nitpick>
15 > > >
16 > > > "Depreciated" is perfectly cromulent in this instance.
17 > >
18 > > You really think it's copacetic?
21 > I never heard of copacetic till now, had to look it up.
22
23 Sorry to necropost, but I waited many a month for this opportunity, for I have
24 a nitpick to shoot back with:
25
26 > What a wonderful word, I feel embiggened by it's correctness
27 ------------------------------------------------^
28
29 “it’s”, just like “he’s”, is a contraction with the verb “is”.
30 What you meant was “its”, meaning a posession belonging to “it”.
31
32 *runs, ducks and hides*
35 Depreciate, for me, is basically de- (which usually has a negative meaning)
36 and preciate, i.e. <gollum> ”making a precious” </gollum>). ;-)
37 But well, being a foreign speaker and a grammar n*zi, I might have an unfair
38 advantage about such thing.
39 --
40 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
41 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
42
43 Bank -- an institution where you can borrow money
44 for the proof that you don’t need it.