From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Intel D975X or NVidia 680i for stable, fast Linux box?
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 07:50:45
1 Denis schrieb:
2 > I'm looking into upgrading to Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad) family -
3 > perhaps the E6600 Conroe. I'm trying to figure out which
4 > motherboard/chipset would suit my needs best. I'm planning to install
5 > Gentoo Linux on the system, and I need it to be, first and foremost,
6 > stable and reliable - mainly to be used for number crunching (e. g.,
7 > Mathematica), simulations, etc... No gaming. I'm between getting an
8 > Intel board with the D975X chipset and a board with the NVidia 680i
9 > chipset. Which of these chipsets is more favored in the Linux
10 > community and which might do better with number crunching
11 > applications?
12
13 Why not use the 965P-chipset on a board like the Intel DP965LT?
14 Should be a bit cheaper than the D975X and if you don't need the
15 RAID-functionality, this is a very good board for working purposes IMO.
16
17 The 965-chipset even beat the 975 in some benchmarks I read ...
18
19 I use one here with a E6600, running gentoo on a 2.6.21-kernel
20 (dynticks), and everything runs fine and stable.
21
22 You have to use a kernel >=2.6.20 or so if you want to use the
23 Marvell-PATA-Chip (for CD-ROM or so), but no problem with this, also all
24 the other features (sata, sound, usb, Gbit-LAN, cpu frequency scaling
25 ...) work fine.
26
27 Dunno about the nvidia-chipset, I personally chose the Intel-board after
28 reading some tests in the german c't-magazine where it did score good
29 points and seemed to fit my needs for a decent workhorse here.
30
31 Greets, Stefan.
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list