From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AIGLX responseness (WAS: libGL issues & AIGLX slowness)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 00:29:31
1 On Sun, 2006-10-29 at 13:36 +0100, Marco Calviani wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 > the slowness of AIGLX was due to the fact that i was running
4 > xorg-server without enabling the aiglx flag.
5
6 what aiglx flag?
7
8 $ equery u xorg-server | grep -i aiglx
9 $ <nothing>
10
11 > After having enabled it
12 > xorg started running with AIGLX (using compiz or beryl).
13 > Although the system is quite usable there is still an issue: i thought
14 > the system would have relied completely on video card acceleration.
15 > However whenever i run an AIGLX effect such as the cube or just window
16 > moving the CPU goes up to 80-90% during all the time the effect is
17 > running. This behaviour makes the system A LOT less responsive than it
18 > is without AIGLX.
19 > Is this a known issue?
20
21 I think it can depend on the driver. With some versions of ati-drivers,
22 the CPU is used to help the GPU, and I get great frame rates. With
23 other version of ati-drivers (including 8.28.8 and 8.29.6) the cpu
24 usages stays low for all 3d, and I get crap framerates...
25
26 don't know if this is your issue, but it sounds similar.
27
28 HTH,
32 If you knew what to say next, would you say it?
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list