From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Compositing too slow in KDE
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 16:16:49
1 On 03/20/2011 12:09 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 March 2011 18:38:00 Mick wrote:
3 >> On Saturday 19 March 2011 23:02:11 Jorge Martínez López wrote:
4 >>> I also have an ATI card and I do suffer the slow compositing. I solved
5 >>> it by switching back to the classic Mesa (instead of Gallium).
6 >>
7 >> Thanks Jorge,
8 >>
9 >> I switched to classic too and now it does not crash - however:
10 >>
11 >> 1. When I start kde compositing is disabled.
12 >>
13 >> 2. If I click on Resume Compositing, then the first time I try it I get a
14 >> notification saying: "Compositing has been suspended by another
15 >> application" and it remains disabled.
16 >>
17 >> 3. The second time I try to resume compositing it works!
18 >>
19 >> 4. If at that stage I exit/restart KDE compositing is disabled again ...
20 >> o_O
21 >>
22 >> Why is this happening? What other application is clashing or causing
23 >> compositing not to take?
24 >
25 > BTW, I just tried this on an older Pentium 4 32bit box with an ATI Radeon X600
26 > (RV380) and it is exhibiting similar symptoms, except that if I try to resume
27 > compositing a second time kwin crashes.
28
29 I have an AMD Phenom II X4 940 with an Radeon 4870 that loves to crash
30 when I turn on compositing. OpenGL works wonderfully until it crashes
31 kwin. XRender chews up so much CPU I'd rather not have it.
32
33 I have an AMD Athlon II X4 635 with an onboard Radeon 4200 that loves to
34 crash when I turn on compositing.
35
36 Both these boxes have SB700/SB800 chipsets. I use xdm on the former and
37 manually run X on the other. Same problem on both.
38
39 I did not have this problem in xorg-server 1.7 series.