From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compare two Gentoo machines - please help
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 15:08:05
1 Good day, Helmut!
2
3 On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 03:42:35PM +0200, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 > Hi,
5
6 > I have two (nearly) identical machines, both running ~amd64 Gentoo up-
7 > to-date and with a (nearly) identical set of installed packages.
8
9 "Nearly identical" is a bit like "slightly pregnant". How about making
10 the two boxes' packages identical (with the same use flags) and seeing if
11 the problem goes away.
12
13 > Still, on one of these machines KDE crashes with that infamous polkit-
14 > kde-authentication-agent-1 segmentation fault.
15
16 > On the other machine there is no problem.
17
18 > How can one smartly compare two Gentoo installations.
19
20 > Currently I would have to produce an md5sum of all files in
21 > /etc /usr /var and / and compare these. But there are dozens of
22 > thousands of files in these directories.
23
24 Compare the /var/lib/portage/world's just to be sure. But you've done
25 that already. How about a deep comparison of the etc's.
26
27 > Many thanks for any ideas,
28 > Helmut.
31 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).