From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: New Intel CPU flaws discovered
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 10:01:59
2 > This appears to be OK on my CPU but want to ask to be sure. Here's some
3 > info, sort of taking cues from what you posted above.
6 > root@fireball / # uname -a
7 > Linux fireball 4.18.12-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Oct 14 23:45:12 CDT 2018
8 > x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
9 > root@fireball / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/
10 > l1tf meltdown spec_store_bypass
11 > spectre_v1 spectre_v2
12 > root@fireball / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/meltdown
13 > Not affected
14 > root@fireball / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/l1tf
15 > Not affected
16 > root@fireball / # cat
17 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spec_store_bypass
18 > Mitigation: Speculative Store Bypass disabled via prctl and seccomp
19 > root@fireball / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v1
20 > Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
21 > root@fireball / # cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/spectre_v2
22 > Mitigation: Full AMD retpoline
23 > root@fireball / #
26 You're missing the /sys/devices/system/cpu/vulnerabilities/mds file because
27 only the latest kernels from 2019-05-14 have that check. The 4.18 line has
28 gone away so you'd have to go to 4.19.43 to get it. Since you're an AMD
29 cpu, you don't need to worry about mds, but if I were you i'd move to
30 4.19.43 anyway as you want to stay on a supported version. 4.19 is
31 "longterm" (https://www.kernel.org/) so its a good option. Then if
32 something serious comes up, an update from 4.19.x to 4.19.y is much less
33 trouble than 4.18 to 4.19.
34
35 Am I correct to think that "Mitigation" is good enough or does that mean it
36 > could be affected in some other way or is risky?
39 I accept Mitigation as good enough. The kernel devs seem to choose a good
40 balance between secure and fast. Anything that says 'vulnerable' is a
41 problem, but you may have to live with it until a new microcode or kernel
42 update arrives. Or if the CPU vendor is not making a microcode update for
43 an old CPU, just live with it or upgrade the hardware. On my skylake box I
44 need to think about disabling Hyperthreading or not, disabled is secure but
45 halves the core count..
48 > Also, since the problem that this thread is about isn't listed, mine isn't
49 > affected correct?
52 Covered above.
55 > I'm guessing "Not affected" means all is good. ;-)
58 Indeed!