From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recovering root password
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 17:14:43
1 On Tue, 2008-03-25 at 09:32 -0700, Grant wrote:
2 > > > > On a notebook, there isn't an OS in existence that is immune to a
3 > > > > LiveCD.
4 > > >
5 > > > Linux is. In the sense that you can't get at the data if the disc is
6 > > > encrypted, even not with a LiveCD. You can only destroy/overwrite it.
7 > >
8 > > Yes, I realised that when typing the original, but left it as is - too
9 > > many IF conditionals would be needed to be accurate and English is
10 > > almost useless at getting IFs to parse correctly :-)
11 > >
12 > > Passwords come from a time when users had terminals that log onto
13 > > machines that are somewhere else and the user can't lay a finger on
14 > > them. Things have indeed changed since 1978
15 >
16 > Would the type of filesystem encryption you guys are talking about be
17 > unsuitable for a high-traffic server because of performance
18 > considerations?
19 >
20 > - Grant
21
22 I did some benchmarks recently, posted them on gentoo-security. Long
23 story short: Even my 64bit single-core Celeron can do 256bit AES, 320bit
24 Anubis or 256bit Twofish faster than writing data to the disk (37MB/s).
25 Blowfish, CAST and Serpent are too slow.
26
27 128bit AES (which I deem good enough for the near future) causes around
28 40% CPU-utilization.
29
30 Whether it is suitable for your server depends on its usage patterns.