From: Herman Grootaers <herman@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:08:30
1 On Friday 11 August 2006 11:22, Hamish Marson wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Mike Williams wrote:
4 > >> On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:27, James wrote:
5 > >>> The simplist solution is NOBODY puts a 240 VAC power supply
6 > >>> into a computer unless it's going to draw some serious current
7 > >>> (amps) thus by the nature of it being 240 VAC, you already know
8 > >>> it is a power hog.
9 > >>
10 > >> Now, I'm not electrical engineer, but I know my way around a fuse
11 > >> board and electricity having fitted out both our new offices for
12 > >> power, network, and some walls.
13 > >>
14 > >> In the UK, and most (if not all) of Europe, Africa, and Asia too,
15 > >> run on about 240 volts, 230 +-10% I think now. Pretty much the
16 > >> whole world, except the Americas.
17 > >
18 > > Well, the USA has the same coming in too. We have 220v to 240v
19 > > coming in but that is split into different legs for the 110v to
20 > > 120v stuff.
21 >
22 > Unless those two legs are in phase, you're still only getting
23 > 110V-120V AC. IIRC (And it's from 20 years ago I'm working here) it's
24 > not, it's just two legs of the 3 phase generated power. Which means
25 > they're 120 deg out of phase, and so you still only get 110-120V. In
26 > order to get 220-240V, you'd need 3 phase power.
27
28 Safer to use a transformer 110V-220V which will lessen the danger of
29 playing with two or three live wires, a misconnection can cause an
30 outage with all sorts of problems generated, died disks and other
31 apparatus.
32
33 > I suspect you get two 110V lines because of current limitations. Not
34 > to provide you with 220V which you'r enot going to get from just
35 > adding two out of phase lines. (Unless of course the US has wired up
36 > two in-phase separate 110V lines. In which case you can get 220V
37 > outof it, but I seem to remember a lecture in Eng Sci saying it was
38 > common to take 2 of 3 phases to a house in the US & alternate which 2
39 > between successive houses.
40 >
41 > > If you are using transformers to reduce it from 220v to 110v, that
42 > > will waste some energy right there. Transformers are not real
43 > > efficient. If you touch it and it is warm, that is what you are
44 > > wasting. That will also make whatever you are cooling with work
45 > > harder too.
46 >
47 > Plus you need twice the current at 110V vs 220V. (Volts are big 'V'
48 > BTW! Named after Voltaire).
49
50 Sorry, the french writer Voltaire was not dabbling in science. It was
51 Alessandro Guiseppe Antonio Volta who detected the reaction of
52 different metals on the muscles of a hindlegs of a frog and build the
53 first electric battery from that detection.
54
55 > This means higher line losses as loss is proportional to current.
56 > Higher line losses mean that cable length becomes more of a problem.
57 > (A 10V drop in 240V is less than 5%. 10V drop in 120V is almost 10%.
58 > Much more significant).
59 >
60 > All-in-all I prefer 240V single phase.
63 So do I, although in itself that voltage is deadly
64 --
65 Herman Grootaers
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list