From: Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fine Tuning NTP Server
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 15:04:12
1 Hello Andrea,
2
3 Thank you so much for your time. I missed the part about log^2 in the
4 documentation.
5
6 Kind Regards,
7
8 Nick.
9
10 On 5/10/13, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
11 > On May 10, 2013 5:23 PM, "Andrea Conti" <alyf@××××.net> wrote:
12 >>
13 >> Hello,
14 >>
15 >> > server tick.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst prefer
16 >>
17 >> Ouch! minpoll and maxpoll should be specified as the log2 of the actual
18 >> value, i.e. 6 and 10. Those are the defaults anyway.
19 >>
20 >> > disable auth
21 >> > broadcastclient
22 >> > server ntp.server.com prefer
23 >>
24 >> This looks fine to me; although configuring a broadcast association when
25 >> your clients also have a unicast association to the same server seems a
26 >> bit pointless, this should not cause any harm.
27 >>
28 >> I think you should first try to fix your server config and see if
29 >> getting a proper sync on the server also solves the problem with the
30 >> clients.
31 >>
32 >> > As for /etc/conf.d/ntpd, we have set nothing. To be honest I did not
33 >> > even know the file
34 >> > existed till you mentioned it:
35 >> >
36 >> > NTPD_OPTS="-u ntp:ntp"
37 >>
38 >> That is where you put the commandline options you want ntpd to be
39 >> started with.
40 >>
41 >> > I would have liked to be better prepared for this but the gentoo wiki
42 >> > page has been down for a few weeks now. We are not looking for
43 >> > microsecond synchronization however, down to the second would be nice!
44 >>
45 >> I doubt you can consistently achieve microsecond-level synchronization
46 >> with NTP ;)
47 >>
48 >> The official documentation of the ntp suite [1] is a good source of
49 >> information; the man pages of ntpd and ntp.conf are also quite
50 >> extensive, albeit a bit terse.
51 >>
52 >> andrea
53 >>
54 >> [1] http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html
59 > Many thanks Andrea!
60 >
61 > Although I'm not the original poster, but within the next couple of months,
62 > me & my team will have to implement something similar. Your reply is a good
63 > reference for us!
64 >
65 > Again, thank you!
66 >