From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Conflicting version...but the version scheme is confusing...
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2019 09:34:38
1 On Saturday, 30 November 2019 07:17:01 GMT Franz Fellner wrote:
2 > inkscape-0.92.4 has the same issue.
3 > The problem is that the API (Programming interface, not Binary interface)
4 > between imagemagick-6 and imagemagick-7 isn't compatible.
5 > And inkscape never was updated to use the API from imagemagick-7.
6
7 Yes, that's exactly the problem.
8
9 media-gfx/inkscape-0.92.4 which is presently the stable version is quite happy
10 with media-gfx/imagemagick-7.0.9.5.
11
12 However, the unstable version of inkscape-1.0_beta1 requires imagemagick
13 versions prior to 7.0.9.5, with the currently available version of
14 imagemagick-6.9.10.74 fulfilling the requirement.
15
16 The inkscape package is the dog and imagemagick (a dependency) is the tail.
17 Usually the dog wags the tail and not the other way around. However, portage
18 is asking for inkscape to be keyworded to a testing beta version for what
19 appears to me to be no good reason. Portage should keep inkscape at the
20 stable 0.92.4 version, with imagemagick at 6.9.10.74, on a system which is
21 running stable packages.
24 > That's why you are forced to downgrade imagemagick to a version lower than
25 > 7 when you want to use imagemagick in inkscape.
26 > If you want to stay with imagemagick >=7 you have two options:
27 > 1) entirely disable imagemagick for inkscape, e.g. with "media-gfx/inkscape
28 > -imagemagick" in package.use
29
30 If you do this, you'll find that conversions and imports/exports from one
31 graphics file format to another would be somewhat limited. Imagemagick relies
32 on inkscape for this functionality.
35 > 2) Use inkscape-1.0.0_beta1 and enable both USE-Flags "imagemagick
36 > graphicsmagick".
37 > That way you will get the imagemagick features through graphicsmagick,
38 > which means imagemagick is not a dependency of inkscape anymore.
39
40 Right, but graphicsmagick is more limited in its functionality than
41 imagemagick. For a poweruser of imagemagick this may present a problem - but
42 I don't know how big a problem it might be.
43
44 While I was chasing my tail around this clash hoping portage would eventually
45 get it right, I seem to recall a more recent combo. When inkscape-1.0_beta1
46 is keyworded, portage is asking to also keyword imagemagick-*9999. I assume
47 the trunk has a version which works with inkscape-1.0_beta1, but I'm not sure.
48
49 For now I just exclude inkscape from upgrades until the dust on this settles.
52 Regards,
53
54 Mick