From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] maintaining clones
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 04:30:54
1 On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:07:14 +0200 (CEST)
2 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > I have 4 identical machines, they only differ in the 2 files
7 > /etc/conf.d/hostname
8 > /etc/conf.d/net
9 >
10 > I'd like to maintain only one of them (updating
11 > GenToo upto several times a week)
12 > and 'rsync' the other ones.
13
14 hmm... network booting? network mounting? install packages once on
15 one system, share them with everyone. Share passwd/shadow files and
16 the like manually, or symlink them to skeletal versions symlinked to
17 somewhere that can be obscured and replaced by a network boot. you
18 could even boot them from thumb drives or cds.
19
20 of course, it would be a good bit of work to configure initially,
21 and might not go whithout a hitch.