From: Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xz memory hungry?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:17:32
1 On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >> >
3 >> Last time I had a problem like this I spent a lot of time googling about
4 >> ulimit/setting_limits/etc and found _nothing_ worth mentioning. This time I
5 >> run "ulimit -v unlimited", but the question is who put the former values
6 >> there? Some hard-coded default? I couldn't find anything in init scripts nor
7 >> in bash rc files. I know that on logout the value is lost (I had to run ulimit
8 >> again on chrooting). What is the appropriate file to put "ulimit -v unlimited"
9 >> in? Perhaps ~/.bash_profile? And how can root set different hard limits for
10 >> different users? Maybe some bash guru will step in?:)
13 > probably rc.conf, or maybe login.defs depending on per user/or everyone
14 >
15 It seems rc.conf has a variable for ulimit -u, not for the other flags.
16 login.defs has ULIMIT but teh man page just says "Default ulimit value"
17 Ah well...
18
19 Thanks
20