From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Routine update wants to install 3 version of Ruby + 50 others
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:59:27
1 On 12/11/2013 02:47 AM, Hans de Graaff wrote:
2 >
3 >> During a transition period like this, various upstreams release a bunch
4 >> of crap with circular or conflicting dependencies that happen to work on
5 >> their machines because nobody is using a real package manager. The fact
6 >> that it works as well as it does is a miracle. If you don't want all
7 >> three versions of Ruby on your machine, try setting e.g.
8 >> RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19". It probably won't work, but that's because some
9 >> package has troublesome dependencies, not because we're handling it
10 >> wrong.
11 >
12 > It should work (I have some machines with that setting). Two things to
13 > keep in mind: you are now off the default settings, so you will need to
14 > manage new ruby targets yourself. You will also still get the ruby20 core
15 > installed for the moment due to weird dependency issues with some
16 > packages. This will get rectified when we add ruby20 to the default
17 > RUBY_TARGETS.
18
19 If anything needs ruby, you get whatever version of ruby it wants (say,
20 1.9). But then the next time you emerge -puDN world, you pull in
21 dev-lang/ruby-2.0 in a different slot. But ruby-2.0 needs rdoc, rake,
22 and json with USE=ruby_targets_ruby20. Down the rabbit hole we go =)
23
24 I did finally get RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" working but I had to
25 package.mask ruby-2.0 first.