From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eth0 fallback configuration is ignored
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 12:25:35
1 On Saturday 27 October 2007, Dan Farrell wrote:
2 > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 21:58:11 +0930
3 >
4 > Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
5 > > is it by any chance assigning you a 169... address? Did you recently
6 > > upgrade dhcpcd to ... around ... 3.1.6 I think? Anyway, it now tries
7 > > "zeroconf" or whatever it's called, to give you an address when
8 > > there's no server around. Personally I don't like it, but you can
9 > > decide :)
10 >
11 > This behaviour is called APIPA (Automatic PRivate IP Addressing)
12 > (from /etc/conf.d/net.example):
13 > # APIPA is a module that tries to find a free address in the range
14 > # Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA)
15 > # use APIPA to find a free address in the range
16 > # 169.254.0.0-169.254.255.255
17 >
18 > It provides DHCP-like functionality without a DHCP server. Pretty
19 > useless, unless you use it to configure all your IPs or a route for that
20 > subnet.
21
22 Even worse, if your DHCP server comes up later, your PC will still hold on to
23 APIPA - not sure how this feature can be of any use to be honest, but most
24 devices these days from MS Windows to PDAs tend to behave like this.
25 --
26 Regards,
27 Mick