From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CUPS can't print
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 17:38:39
1 On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 12:31 PM, maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > This printer, HP Laserjet 4 plus, works fine in WinXP. According to localhost:631 the printer was set up successfully but when I tried to print a test page the printer made some whirring noise then stopped and went off-line. In the LED readout on the printer it says: PC Load H4. According to the error log the job was "completed successfully".
5 >
6 > The printer does not appear in dmesg but according to the gentoo printing howto this is not critical. I'm using cups-1.3.7-r1.
7 >
8 > Any help appreciated
9 >
10 > Maxim
11
12 I recently had this sort of problem but only when printing across the
13 network. In my case I had entries in /etc/locale.gen on all my
14 machines that looked like this:
15
16 en_US ISO-8859-1
17 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
18
19 For some reason (which I did ask about on this list but don't think I
20 got any responses) the 8859-1 entry has started causing new problems
21 with CUPS. I removed that entry (on my print server only), regenerated
22 the locales on the server and everything started working again.
23
24 I have NO idea what caused this. I always worked before. The clue was
25 in the /var/log/cups error files.
26
27 Probably this has nothing to do with your exact problem but keep it in
28 the back of your mind if you can't find another solution.
29
30 Good luck,
31 Mark