From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] An alternative keyboard layout is lost
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 08:35:00
1 This is the continuation from the thread
2 "XFCE weather plugin does not work"
3
4 2014-10-18 10:03 GMT+03:00 Gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
5 > On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 23:37:16 +0100
6 > David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com> wrote:
7 >
9 >> Hash: SHA1
10 >>
11 >> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 22:33:45 +0100, Neil Bothwick (neil@××××××××××.uk)
12 >> wrote about "Re: [gentoo-user] Re: XFCE weather plugin does not work"
13 >> (in <20141017223345.16c96ec8@××××××××××.uk>):
14 >>
15 >> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 21:13:52 +0000 (UTC), James wrote:
16 >> >
17 >> >> And last, can any patch that ends in .patch be applied to the
18 >> >> intended ebuild or does the gentoo ebuild auther have to put some
19 >> >> special code into an (EAPI-5) ebuild to facilitate user patches?
20 >> >
21 >> > AFAIR the ebuild simply has to call epatch_user() in src_unpack()
22 >> > and any matching patches in /etc/portage/patches are applied.
23 >>
24 >> The usual place is src_prepare().
25 >>
26 >> I have prepared some patches from the Xfce repository with line
27 >> addressing to match the Gentoo sources tarball. I attach a tarball of
28 >> theses patches that can be untarred in /etc/portage/patches/.
29 >
30 > I have unpacked your patches to /etc/portage/patches as described here:
31 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/patches
32 > and then run # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
33 >
34 > After restarting xfce4, the weather-plugin started to work. Thank you.
35 >
36 > Nevertheless, just
37 > # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask world
38 > instead of # emerge xfce4-weather-plugin
39 > did not worked.
40 >
41 >> The ebuild should have the following lines added:
42 >>
43 >> src_prepare() {
44 >> epatch_user
45 >> }
46 >
47 > I have not done this relying on the promise by Greg Kubaryk
48 > that the ebuild is epatch_user enabled.
49 >
50 >> Don't forget to redo the manifest for the ebuild.
51 >
52 > I never dealt with ebuilds on a maintaner level.
53 > So, may I ask if it is really necessary and for which purpose.
54
55 Just after emerging xfce4-weather-plugin with the patches
56 provided by David W Noon, I have noticed that I lost all my
57 alternative keyboard layouts.
58
59 I tried to set them anew via xfce4 Keyboard Layouts Plugin
60 version 0.5.6 but there is no keyboard layout that suits my
61 keyboard.
62
63 Unfortunately, unmerging xfce4-weather-plugin did not help.
64
65 Another thing I did just before re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin
66 was a routine system update. This time only net-dns/libidn package
67 was updated from version 1.28 to version 1.29, and before that
68 update my alternative keyboard layouts were still present, as
69 I remember using them just after the update but before rebooting
70 the system.
71
72 So, it also may be that updating libidn package caused the damage.
73
74 I remember that, while installing Gentoo about 15 months ago,
75 I set my keyboard layout not via an xfce4 plugin but somewhere
76 in the X11 settings. (At that time I had gnome2 instead of xfce4 anyway).
77
78 So, may be now, re-emerging xfce4-weather-plugin, or trying
79 to set the alternative keyboard layout anew, I have created some
80 xfce4 configuration file that shadows X11 (or old gnome2) settings
81 that xfce4 used for keyboard layout previously.
84 Any thoughts?