From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] reported to NVidia and excepted (Bug in NVidia-drivers-370.23)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 13:56:19
Hi,

a bug has been found in the nvidia-drivers 370.23.

Effect:
Install the driver
Install a recent blender package
Try to render anything
KABOOM! (read: Blender crashes)

This was first filed as a bug in Blender
(see https://developer.blender.org/T49113), but soon found
to be a problem in the nvidia-drivers by Brecht.

The problem was then reported to NVidia, and as reported in
the thread mentioned above, NVidia already is testing
a fixed version.

Why is that not an ordinary update as any other update to
the nvidia-drivers?

The versions of that driver prior to the above mentioned one
do not compile with kernels of the 4.7* branch.

And according to this:
http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Sicherheitsforscher-kapern-HTTP-Verbindungen-von-Linux-3292257.html
Sorry for the german spoken link ... I tried to find that on
www.heise-online.co.uk
but my browser is too """smart""" and redirects me back to www.heise.de
all the time...

...according to that above, there is security hole in kernels prior
to 4.7.*.

So the Blender heads among the Linux heads ;) have two choices: Forget internet and render with
the older nvidia-kernel and the affected kernel

OR

Forget Blender and use the internet with the current (buggy)
nvidia-drivers.

Conclusion:
Dear GENTOO developers,
Please, please: As soon as there is an update available for the
nvidia-drivers: From the the bottom of my soul I beg you -- please
include them as early as possible !!!
:) ;)
...since I am two-headed: Blender head AND Linux head....

PS:
I included the patch given in one of the previous threads for
compiling the "older" nvidia-driver version with Linux 4.7.*.
The source was patched before compiling but compilation failed
nontheless.

Thank you very much in advance for help and support!

Best regards,
Meino