From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] reported to NVidia and excepted (Bug in NVidia-drivers-370.23)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 13:56:19
1 Hi,
2
3 a bug has been found in the nvidia-drivers 370.23.
4
5 Effect:
6 Install the driver
7 Install a recent blender package
8 Try to render anything
9 KABOOM! (read: Blender crashes)
10
11 This was first filed as a bug in Blender
12 (see https://developer.blender.org/T49113), but soon found
13 to be a problem in the nvidia-drivers by Brecht.
14
15 The problem was then reported to NVidia, and as reported in
16 the thread mentioned above, NVidia already is testing
17 a fixed version.
18
19 Why is that not an ordinary update as any other update to
20 the nvidia-drivers?
21
22 The versions of that driver prior to the above mentioned one
23 do not compile with kernels of the 4.7* branch.
24
25 And according to this:
26 http://www.heise.de/security/meldung/Sicherheitsforscher-kapern-HTTP-Verbindungen-von-Linux-3292257.html
27 Sorry for the german spoken link ... I tried to find that on
28 www.heise-online.co.uk
29 but my browser is too """smart""" and redirects me back to www.heise.de
30 all the time...
31
32 ...according to that above, there is security hole in kernels prior
33 to 4.7.*.
34
35 So the Blender heads among the Linux heads ;) have two choices: Forget internet and render with
36 the older nvidia-kernel and the affected kernel
37
38 OR
39
40 Forget Blender and use the internet with the current (buggy)
41 nvidia-drivers.
42
43 Conclusion:
44 Dear GENTOO developers,
45 Please, please: As soon as there is an update available for the
46 nvidia-drivers: From the the bottom of my soul I beg you -- please
47 include them as early as possible !!!
48 :) ;)
49 ...since I am two-headed: Blender head AND Linux head....
52 PS:
53 I included the patch given in one of the previous threads for
54 compiling the "older" nvidia-driver version with Linux 4.7.*.
55 The source was patched before compiling but compilation failed
56 nontheless.
57
58 Thank you very much in advance for help and support!
59
60 Best regards,
61 Meino