From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Major site redesign, SEO, and 301 redirects
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 11:26:51
1 On 9/30/2015 3:36 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I couldn't agree more with all the warnings that have been posted. However,
3 > it may simply be that they want to build a new website and they want to
4 > redirect your DNS from your currently hosted server to theirs.
5
6 You mean change the DNS servers at the Domain Registrar?
7
8 That would be even worse - they would need to completely reproduce
9 everything that is in there prior to transferring it, and then our DNS
10 is no longer ours.
11
12 > Are they offering SaaS, or will you be hosting the new website on
13 > prem?
14
15 That is one of my questions. Currently the site is hosted at Rackspace.
16
17 > In any case, they could just ask you to do this, if you agree. Given
18 > that "possession is nine-tenths of the law" I would not let them
19 > anywhere near your DNS records - period.
20
21 Hmmm... above it sounded like you were ok with their desire to
22 'redirect our DNS from our currently hosted server to theirs'. Did I
23 misunderstand?
24
25 > With regards to being blacklisted by Google, you have to be careful indeed.
26 > Google will blacklist bad code and malicious code.
27
28 At this point I'm more worried about bad links/hundreds of thousand
29 pages suddenly giving 404 errors, etc...