From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NVidia-drivers: Sync problem ???
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2010 10:10:03
1 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi Dale,
3 >
4 > thank you for your in deep explanations ! :)
5 >
6 > The distortions I saw on my screen look identical to
7 > those I recognizeed with my old nvidia card before using
8 > the sync settings...so i /thought/ (read: "dont know for sure" ;) )
9 > it would by a syncing problem again.
10 >
11 > But it wan't.
12 >
13 > For reasons I dont know in the nvidia-settings there was "GPU scaling"
14 > activate. May be someone sitting in front of my computer the same time
15 > I use to has fiddled with this setting without informing me... ;)
16 >
17 > The trick is: When watching a video in its native resolution, the
18 > problem does not occur.
19 >
20 > When watching the video full screen, the GPU was instructed to scale
21 > it up (instead of mplayer or vlc doing this job in software).
22 > Problem with this is (I thinkt), that there is one-pixel-border around
23 > the full-screen window of mplayer/vlc so the GPU is instructed to
24 > scale it to 1918x1199 pixel. Then this is thrown into my LCD monitor
25 > and .... rubish...
26 >
27 > First I deatcivated "GPU scaling" and then spoke some serious words
28 > to this guy, who uses my computer always the same I do and ... I am
29 > happy again to have a clean video playing.
30 >
31 > Thanks a lot for your explanations! (will store them for later use...
32 > who knows what things I will encounter next....;)
33 >
34 > Have a nice weekend!
35 > Best regards
36 > mcc
40 Glad to have helped. I find myself in a situation sometimes of not
41 knowing where to start looking. Of course, sometimes knowing where to
42 look doesn't always help either but it is worth a try at least. I
43 recently had video issues and knew where to look but the solution was
44 not so obvious to me but someone with better googling skills found a
45 solution.
46
47 Dale
48