From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Partitioning strategy...?
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 07:56:05
1 On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 20:53:17 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > I want to build a Gentoo server box whose structure is
5 > highly-partitioned, like this:
6
7 partition setups are like lovers - highly variable. And the one that
8 suits you will suit almost no-one else.
9
10 Many of the recommendations you find on-line come from an earlier time
11 and the reason they got going is no longer valid for the most part. So
12 do take care to evaluate the real reason why you are doing something.
13
14 Valid reasons included:
15
16 You want to unmount a dir structure (/boot).
17 The fs type for a partition is different from that fs it mounts to
18 (often /var/log but these days most often used with tmpfs).
19 You need to mount an fs with different mount options to the fs it
20 mounts onto (/home noexec on multi-user setups for example)
21
22 The way to do this is not to search Google for recommendations, as
23 there is no such valid thing, but to figure out for yourself why you
24 want a mountpoint, calculate how much space *you* need, then do it.
25 Read other's experiences who use similar software as you by all means,
26 but that will be mere hints.
27
28 My own thoughts:
29
30 - I can't find a good reason anymore to have a local /usr separate. It's
31 always mounted on my systems, even in maintenance mode (there's
32 always at least one decent tool that the distro decided to put
33 in /usr/sbin)
34
35 - /tmp is only useful on it's own if it's a tmpfs. Mine hasn't ever
36 filled up anywhere (despite best efforts of users). tmpfs is general
37 is an awesome idea.
38
39 - Keeping data and code separate is always a good idea. But only a few
40 things in /var are critical like /var/log and /var/<database>.
41 Everything else is usually tiny and can safely live on /
42
43 - /boot is traditionally separate partly because long long long ago
44 BIOSs couldn't read past 1024 cylinders which borked lilo. This is no
45 longer true.
49 > /
50 > /boot
51 > /usr
52 > /tmp
53 > /usr/portage ==> via NFS
54 > /var
55 > /var/lib/postgresql
56 > /var/tmp
57 > /var/log
58 > /var/spool
59 >
60 > (Not all of them will reside on the same physical disk; I have
61 > /dev/sda up to /dev/sdd)
62 >
63 > I've been searching high and low for recommended numbers... and there
64 > are as many number as search-hits.
65 >
66 > So. Care to share your partitioning strategy?
67 >
68 > (And while we're at it, am I overdoing the partitioning?)
69 >
70 > Rgds,
75 Alan McKinnnon
76 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com