From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo and KISS ?
Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 07:18:12
1 On Sun, 20 May 2007 02:33:24 -0400
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > If you're connecting to the internet, you *MUST* keep your system up
5 > to date, to maintain security.
6
7 Not necessarily. You only have to update programs with known security
8 holes. New versions are just as likely to introduce unknown holes as
9 fix old unknown holes. Furthermore, for most persons'
10 desktop/laptop systems, there's no need to be listening on any ports at
11 all. That should tighten up security pretty well, so I don't see why
12 it's so critical to always be updating. Perhaps i'm wrong?
13
14 That having been said, I do think it's generally a good idea to keep up
15 to date. Wait too long, and you just cause unnecessary problems for
16 yourself when you finally need to upgrade something. But that having
17 been said, if you find it a giant hassle, why not just stop doing it
18 unless absolutely necessary?
19 --
20 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list