From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} "dumb" ethernet mover
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 00:02:12
1 On 2010-05-31, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > My cable internet outlet is across the room from my TV, and my Gentoo
3 > desktop attaches to my TV. I'm using a small wireless router to send
4 > the signal from the cable modem to my Gentoo system across the room.
5 > I don't like using a non-Gentoo decision-making device in my network,
6 > but I also don't want to build and maintain another Gentoo system for
7 > only firewall/router duties. Am I overlooking another option? I want
8 > a "dumb" device to move the ethernet connection from one side of the
9 > room to the other.
10
11 Usually that's called a "cable". ;)
12
13 Many wireless bridges have a "virtual cable" mode point-to-point
14 bridging mode that will let you pair them together so that they won't
15 talk to anything else and are just transparent layer 2 bridges. I've
16 got some DLink bridges that have a mode like that. You just set them
17 up next to each other and powered them both up while holding a button
18 down, and they'd find each other and pair-up.
19
20 Many OTS WAPs also have a point-to-point bridge mode as well.
21
22 Unfortunately all of the WAPs and bridges that I know of are
23 "non-Gentoo" devices, so they don't meet your stated requiremnt of
24 having to run Gentoo. If you really want something that runs Gentoo,
25 then I don't see any way around building the two bridge units
26 yourself.
29 Grant