From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] xorg-server update: Keyboard and mouse dead
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:36:38
1 Hi,
2
3 This morning I updated xorg-server.
4 I reemerged nvidia-drivers and mouse and keyboard drievers as
5 suggested by einfo.
6 I started X and keyboard and mouse were dead - but sysrq-key works and
7 keyboard and mouse works on the console, so the problem is X not the
8 hardware.
9 I removed x86-input-evdev driver as suggested if keyboard is dead,
10 but this does not help.
11
12 My xorg.conf for the relevant sections is as follows:
13
14 Section "InputDevice"
15
16 # Identifier and driver
17
18 Identifier "Mouse1"
19 Driver "mouse"
20 # Option "Protocol" "NetMousePS/2"
21 Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
22 # Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
23 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice
24 Option "Buttons" "5"
25 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
28 # When using XQUEUE, comment out the above two lines, and uncomment
29 # the following line.
30
31 # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"
32
33 # Baudrate and SampleRate are only for some Logitech mice. In
34 # almost every case these lines should be omitted.
35
36 # Option "BaudRate" "9600"
37 # Option "SampleRate" "150"
38
39 # Emulate3Buttons is an option for 2-button Microsoft mice
40 # Emulate3Timeout is the timeout in milliseconds (default is 50ms)
41
42 # Option "Emulate3Buttons"
43 # Option "Emulate3Timeout" "50"
44
45 # ChordMiddle is an option for some 3-button Logitech mice
46
47 Option "ChordMiddle"
48
49 EndSection
50
51 Section "InputDevice"
52
53 Identifier "Keyboard1"
54 Driver "kbd"
55 # For most OSs the protocol can be omitted (it defaults to "Standard").
56 # When using XQUEUE (only for SVR3 and SVR4, but not Solaris),
57 # uncomment the following line.
58
59 # Option "Protocol" "Xqueue"
60
61 Option "AutoRepeat" "500 30"
62
63 # Specify which keyboard LEDs can be user-controlled (eg, with xset(1))
64 # Option "Xleds" "1 2 3"
65
66 Option "LeftAlt" "Meta"
67 Option "RightAlt" "ModeShift"
68 Option "ScrollLock" "Compose"
69 Option "RightCtl" "Control"
72 Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:win_switch,ctrl:nocaps,compose:rwin"
73
74 # To customise the XKB settings to suit your keyboard, modify the
75 # lines below (which are the defaults). For example, for a non-U.S.
76 # keyboard, you will probably want to use:
77 # Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
78 # If you have a US Microsoft Natural keyboard, you can use:
79 # Option "XkbModel" "microsoft"
80 #
81 # Then to change the language, change the Layout setting.
82 # For example, a german layout can be obtained with:
83 # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
84 # or:
85 # Option "XkbLayout" "de"
86 # Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
87 #
88 # If you'd like to switch the positions of your capslock and
89 # control keys, use:
90 # Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
91
92 # These are the default XKB settings for XFree86
93
94 # Option "XkbModel" "pc101"
95 # Option "XkbLayout" "us"
96 # Option "XkbVariant" ""
97 # Option "XkbOptions" ""
98
99 # Option "XkbDisable"
102 Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
103 Option "XkbLayout" "de"
104 Option "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
107 EndSection
110 # **********************************************************************
111 # ServerLayout sections.
112 # **********************************************************************
113
114 # Any number of ServerLayout sections may be present. Each describes
115 # the way multiple screens are organised. A specific ServerLayout
116 # section may be specified from the X server command line with the
117 # "-layout" option. In the absence of this, the first section is used.
118 # When now ServerLayout section is present, the first Screen section
119 # is used alone.
120
121 Section "ServerLayout"
122
123 # After 20 minutes of idle time: Shutdown
124 Option "OffTime" "20"
127 # The Identifier line must be present
128 Identifier "Simple Layout"
129
130 # Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
131 # the relative position of other screens. The four names after
132 # primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
133 # of the primary screen. In this example, screen 2 is located to the
134 # right of screen 1.
135
136 Screen "Screen 1"
137
138 # Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
139 # optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
140 # used. Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
141 # "SendCoreEvents".
142
143 InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
144 InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
145
146 EndSection
149 Since the box is dead after starting X (I only can reboot
150 with sysrq keys) I see no way of retrieving a logfile
151 for the xorg-server.
152
153 How can I get back a functional X?
154
155 Thank you very much in advance!
156
157 Kind regards,
158 Meino Cramer
168 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
169 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
170 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
171 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.